Earlier this year, City Hall committed to reach a $25 per capita funding level for artists by 2017. IT’S UP TO YOU – artists, arts workers, students, and patrons – to make sure they follow through on that promise!
On Friday, November 8, TAPA and the Friends of the Arts Network will converge on City Hall for the 4th Annual Arts Day at the City. Show Toronto Councillors just how important their support is to our community by getting involved today:
- TWEET your message of support with the hashtag #artsdayTO. We’re telling council that 2013 was #justthebeginning – there’s a lot left to do before we make it to $25 per capita!
- POST your message of support on Facebook with the hashtag #artsdayTO.
- SHARE the Arts Day campaign video.
- EMAIL your friends / colleages / patrons and ask them to show their support for the Toronto artists they love by voicing their opinion online or directly to City Hall.
and most importantly:
- CONTACT YOUR COUNCILLOR to tell them you care about the arts, and you VOTE! If you don’t know who your councillor is, no worries! Just click here.
You can also download the Arts Day “Just the Beginning” sign (click here) and share a photo of yourself with it to lend your face to the campaign. Or better yet: show us that gorgeous mug in person! RSVP here to attend the Arts Day press conference at City Hall on November 8 at 9:30AM – the more the merrier!
And remember…Arts Day / November 8 isn’t the only day to connect with your government representatives. Make sure your Councillor / MPP / MP knows what’s going on with the artists they represent year-round!
Funding isn’t guaranteed until it’s in the budget! It’s your art, and your future: make sure City Hall knows how important municipal arts funding really is to artists and audiences across Toronto. If you’d like more information about Arts Day and how you can get involved, feel free to email Meaghan Davis, our Manager of Communications & Enrichment and one of the Arts Day organizers.